Monday 2 June 2014

Shortbread bake-off

This weekend I had a shortbread bake-off at my home. I used two different products, Tamara’s Cut and Bake shortbread and Snowflake Treats shortbread, for my bake-off.

Preparation
Tamara’s Cut and Bake is exactly that, you cut the dough roll from frozen and bake them for 8 minutes. Done!

Snowflake Treats, take a bit more effort. You first have to mix 300g of butter/margarine until soft and then add the premix and combine. You make two rolls and leave in the fridge for a bit, from there it is pretty much the same procedure.

Tamara’s win this round.


Taste test

The hardest part of the taste test was to wait for the biscuits to cool down enough to be eaten.

Tamara’s biscuits do not really taste like shortbread and resembles a plain butter biscuit for me, it also isn’t so sweet.

Snowflake Treat biscuits is another story, they are sweeter and definitely has shortbread texture.

Snowflake takes this round hands down.


Cost

Tamara’s shortbread dough was R25 for the roll, I made 16 biscuits from it, but they were sliced very thin, so if I made them the same thickness as the others, I probably would get about 12 biscuits. That would work out to R2.08 a biscuit.

Snowflake Treats was R35 for the box plus R10 for the margarine, but I got 40 decently sliced biscuits from the box, so that come to about R 1.13 a biscuit. Almost half price.


Overall, Snowflake takes the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment